Did you know that 20% of domestic energy is used to heat water in the US? So much for a simple health habit of drinking warm water and enjoying a nice warm bath! And if you have a large family, it quickly adds up to a high energy bill. Let’s face it; hot water is part of our comfort. But just as there is a solution for everything, there is an effective and affordable way to heat your water. Did we say affordable? It is affordable if you use solar energy!
A solar water heating system works by using solar energy to heat water. The hot water is stored in a water tank, and you can draw it whenever you like.
An immersion heater or additional boiler to ensure the water is heated to the right temperatures is included during winter. For the hot season, it provides extra water.
What Are The Benefits Of Water Heating From Solar Energy?
- Sunlight is free of cost!
Incorporating a solar water heater saves you from fluctuating fuel prices and shortages.
The sun is a renewable energy source. Therefore, we can expect to receive the sun’s energy on Earth until further notice.
- Energy efficiency
An advantage of using residential solar energy to heat water is energy efficiency. Solar heaters convert 80% of the sun’s rays to heating energy for your hot water needs.
- It saves you money!
You should expect to reduce your heating bills by 50% to 80%. Standard water heating systems can be cheaper than purchasing and installing a solar water heater. But you get to save more in the long run.
- Join the Green movement
The world can agree that our activities have been doing everything but conserving our environment. And there is no cleaner and greener energy than solar to reduce your carbon footprint.
What Is Solar Energy Tax For Water Heaters?
Solar water heaters qualify for solar energy credit and work as follows:
Homeowners can enjoy:
- 30% tax credit for systems installed by 12/31/2019;
- 26% tax credit for solar water heaters installed during the period between 12/31/2019 and 01/01/2023;
- 22% tax credit for systems installed between 12/31/2022 and 01/01/2024.
What are the requirements for the qualifications?
- Excluding rentals, existing homes (principal residences and second homes), and new constructions are eligible.
- The solar water heater has to generate at least half its energy from the sun. (This is in reference to qualifying property).
- As homeowners, you can only claim the expenditure from the solar water heating system, not your household’s entire water heating system.
- The heater should be certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation.
- The heated water has to be utilized in the dwelling.
- The expenses from heating swimming pools or hot tubs do not qualify.
What’s The Energy Efficiency Of A Solar Water Heater?
The solar energy factor and solar factor are used to determine energy efficiency.
Solar energy means energy is delivered by the system divided by the gas or electrical energy utilized by the solar heater. The higher the figure, the higher the energy efficiency. Although the most common solar energy factors are 2 to 3, they can range from 1.0 to 11.0.
On the other hand, the solar fraction is part of the standard hot water heating load. The higher the fraction, the higher the energy used to boil water.
Having a conventional solar energy system is not enough. You can save more and forget about fluctuating fuel prices by including a solar water heater. Besides, you can qualify for the tax credit to spend less while enjoying the comfort and convenience of warm water.